Dr. Bill Newell always dreamed of starting his own orthodontic practice, and his dream became a reality when he opened the doors of Newell Orthodontics in March 2007. Prior to opening the practice, Dr. Newell worked for three years with Drs. Waugh and Allen in their Athens, Watkinsville, and Winder offices. He loves working with our fun and talented team members, and he truly enjoys coming to work to see our patients every day!
Training and Continuing Education
Dr. Newell loves his job! In fact, he knew by age 15 that he wanted to be an orthodontist. After wearing braces himself, he worked through high school and college for his own orthodontist, Dr. Jeff Jordan, in Alpharetta.
After graduating with honors from Georgia Tech with a degree in biology, Dr. Newell attended the Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, where he achieved the highest score on Part I of the National Boards Exam and graduated at the top of his class.
Dr. Newell completed a two-and-a-half-year orthodontic residency and received his graduate certificate in orthodontics from the Medical College of Georgia. He then went on to become board certified by the American Board of Orthodontics. Dr. Newell is currently the only board certified orthodontist in Jefferson and Watkinsville.
Given his strong desire to continually further his education, Dr. Newell spends hundreds of hours attending postgraduate courses around the country. His commitment to excellence and years of clinical experience enable him to manage all types of orthodontic cases, from simple crowding to complex surgical cases. A member of several leading study clubs and a board certified orthodontist, Dr. Newell is recognized as an expert in his field, and he enjoys collaborating with other dental professionals to help his patients achieve healthy, beautiful smiles.
- American Board of Orthodontics, Board Certified
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Southern Association of Orthodontists
- Georgia Association of Orthodontists, Past President
- American Dental Association
- Georgia Dental Association, Bylaws Committee Member
- Georgia Academy of Dental Practice
- Georgia Mission of Mercy, Volunteer Coordinator
- Clarke County Dental Society, Past President
- Georgia Damon Study Club, Founding Member
Awards and Honors
- Received Best Orthodontist in Jackson County Readers' Choice Award from Jackson Herald, Commerce News & Braselton News in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022
- Selected as a Finalist in the 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022 Online Athens Best of the Best Awards
- Selected as the 2018 Best of Jefferson Business Recipient by Main Street Jefferson
- Received Best Orthodontist in Athens Readers' Choice Award from Athens Banner-Herald in 2017
- Honored as a Paul Harris Fellow by Rotary International
- Received the AAO Business Mastery Certificate from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
In Our Community
- Member, Jackson County Area Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Oconee County Chamber of Commerce
- Partner in Education, Jefferson City Schools, Jackson County Schools, Oconee County Schools and Ila Elementary School
- Graduate, Leadership Jackson Class of 2009
- Past President and Board Member, The Tree House, Inc.
- Past Member, Jefferson Rotary Club
- Past Board Member, The Crawford Long Museum
- Past Member, Jefferson Academy School Council
Dr. Newell married his wife Katie in April 2008. They live in Jefferson with their three children and their chocolate Labrador Retrievers. Newell Orthodontics is truly a family business; Katie is the Practice Coordinator here, and her little helpers are frequently seen around the office. Dr. Newell enjoys spending time with his family, cycling, golf, backpacking, traveling, cooking and volunteering in our community.